That is the word most students in Junior and Leaving Certificate will hear upon returning to school yesterday. The preparation exam, the trial exam, the practice exams – all phrases used to describe the upcoming mocks.
It is a time for students to prepare and practice the study and work they have been doing over the past two or three years (depending on their exams). What students need to realise is these set of exams are equally as important as the JC and LC. They will offer students a chance to practice and time themselves doing the questions and subjects they either love or dread.
However, this is also a time of great anxiety for students. Yesterday, the@ released an interesting article on how some of the best behaved students are actually covering their anxiety. To combat this, here a are a few tips for students in the run up to the mocks and the time of doing the mocks.
- Know your timetable.
- Get a good night’s sleep!
- Make sure you have breakfast. If breakfast is something that is skipped (my students or teachers) try smoothies. You can customise them and pack them full of vitamins which will boost your immune system, espically vital with the flu and weather at this time of year!
- Make a checklist for each subject. For example, Junior Certificate CSPE – Students are advised to bring some colouring pencils if they plan on tackling the poster questions.
- Keep hydrated – bring a bottle of water!
- Make sure you have enough pens!