Just finished a presentation on 21classes this week!
Will post our reaction and overall impression of 21classes!
For those curious what 21classes is and the suspense of an updated post is too much. Please feel free to check out the website: https://www.21classes.com/
Recently we were asked to do a presentation on the web 2.0 technology platform 21classes.com.
Though over 40,000 users are using 21classes (which a huge percentile being for educational purposes) overall the research from our group and using of 21classes has prompted us to think it may be a good blogging platform but there is better out there.
That being said there were positives to 21classes.
- One of the main reasons why people would use 21classes had to be the privacy settings and spam protection which is ideal.
- Additionally, another huge benefit of 21classes is that your students do not need an email account to sign up. However, these features only become apparent after you have paid the monthly fee. Though it is a small amount at 8.95 a month per class and 33.98 for unlimited amount to one teacher – it does have huge drawbacks.
- From researching active 21classes blogs I noticed that I could access student’s works which was a huge benefit if I was a relative or friend who wanted to see what they are doing in class. Also, it would be a reflective way for students to engage with each other and possibly motivate students as to how much work they need to do.
- Drawback as students can see each other’s work – which could lead to plagiarism – which would be distressing to students who put a huge amount of work into their work and will lose confidence if they feel their own work will not be private and at the scrutiny of their peers.
- However, one huge benefit of 21classes for the students is that they can upload and personalise the 21classes page to their own liking. Though this is a great feature – this feature is available on other blogs and is more accessible to do.
- Following the slides below you can see how difficult was to upload. If you have the time and resources 21classes was good.
- Though 21classes says they offer a blogging community run and controlled by a teacher students can still change the security settings without the teacher noticing which we thought was a huge drawback.