Pop Up Cafe
The Pop Up Cafe was a huge success with many students showing up for a cup of tea and a few biscuits. It was a good way for students to chat to teachers who were present. It was a lovely atmosphere were students got to talk to their friends while in school. There was no pressure for the students to rush through their lunch or have a test or homework hanging over them as they drank their tea!
Additionally, the seniors helped serve the tea giving the younger students a chance to chat and talk to them. This event has fostered a link between senior and juniors. Also, another positive that has come out of this is the seniors are getting a chance to reflect through their own years at school as they draw closer to closing their chapter at secondary school.
If you are planning to do a pop up cafe a few tips:
- Use paper cups – clean up becomes incredibly easier
- Have a biscuit or two for the students.
- Have an alternative for tea.
- Have it well advertised – even send out a text to the parents if this system is available in your school.
- Have a small activity prepared – a good one is human bingo were students interactive with people they may not have talked to before.
- Use a big space so students can move around without feeling on top of each other.
Overall I would highly encourage schools to try a Pop Up Cafe – try to keep costs minimal as well!